Monday, August 25, 2014

Wow!

Well, I heard officially from our social worker that we are an approved foster care family so we will be able to start  looking for children soon. The next step is the most important, finding a child that will fit with our family. These children have been through so much and it is important for me to make sure that I take the time to find the right fit. It wont be a perfect fit, but the best fit for the child and us. It is a big move, a very big move, please pray that we make the right decision.

I cannot even begin to explain how it feels to literally scroll through the faces available for adoption on Adopt US Kids. It seems so callous to pass them by, like the newsfeed on Facebook. They are actually breathing living things and here I am scrolling through them like I am shopping. It is one hell of a heart break to actually realize that in a strange way I am.

I should be jumping all over the place but it is bittersweet. When I was at work today, we found out due to test scores that the school I work at is placed on priority alert. Basically, it means the state can take over our school and up to 50% of us could lose our jobs due to test scores.

It is a big dilemma, teacher accountability, and it is not a easy fix. There are so many obstacles that affect test scores, parental support, school attendance, funding, and yes, teachers. But, we are not the only solutions. I would love to see the people coming up with these plans working with me not against me because I worked hard to be a teacher! IT was my dream. After hearing about our nonexistent job security, I had asked a fellow teacher what he has for a backup plan. He said it clearly....college was my back up plan. Sad, when you think about it!


So, was today's meeting to tell me maybe, that I shouldn't adopt with the potential storm brewing ahead? I'm not sure but I am a fighter! As a nontraditional student, I graduated while raising three little boys, one medically challenged, and worked full time. What college taught me most of all is that I have a choice in my future so I know that I can rise from the ashes of my dream and find something else. I cannot control everything around me but I can control myself. And I am choosing to not let things knock me down.

Well, hopefully everything is going well in your neck of the woods. May the love in your heart stir many possibilities. Do me a favor tell someone you love tomorrow how much you appreciate them.

Thanks for listening! G man and J man helped me make a video!




No comments:

Post a Comment