Wednesday, September 10, 2014


Children are our biggest resource and it saddens me to hear about all the programs, schools, and teacher layoff's that are going on in my state. It also saddens me to hear about test scores, although partly important, are becoming the biggest indicator of  quality in schools. When I was a child (too many years ago), I remember taking naps and learning how to play with others in a relaxed setting in kindergarten. We even had time for show and tell. But, the truth is I feel that I had an excellent education! And despite the relaxed atmosphere, I was able to learn my facts and then go on to higher concepts!

 Too often I hear from parents who have children in primary grades that they are bothered by the amounts of homework that their children bring home. They are overwhelmed! Today while at physical therapy with my son it was nice to hear the parent's side of view about homework. The reality is many things have changed since I was in kindergarten...socioeconomics, the economy, technology, and the dynamics of the traditional family! So, schools will have to change along with it but I do think there are some valuable lessons we can learn from the past.


School is not just about test scores! Students need to learn about making good choices, being a good citizen, working hard, treating others with respect, and so on. Not everyone is going to go to college or needs a perfect test score. Some students will go on to college and pursue a higher level education of  while others will work with their hands. We are all unique and that is why I feel the cookie cutter plans for education are in no way going to produce the perfect batch.

With my youngest son, J Man, who has struggled most of his life with medical, physical, and learning disabilities, I have seen how individualizing education can work. Each child is a unique gift! Everything for my son has not been easy but with early on programs, speech, physical and occupational therapy he has made many gains. He can learn but differently. J Man has had some wonderful people in his life. Yes, there have been stand out's, but not every person can reach the same child.

Cutting the arts and elective type courses while implementing more requirements is not the perfect recipe. The reality is some students only attend school because of the arts!I also know that Algebra II can be a complete waste of time for some special needs students who would benefit from learning job skills. Yet, inclusion can work and has proven in some ways, that students with disabilities can be challenged and succeed. But, again, the word "individualized comes to mind".

On a very personal note, somebody asked me yesterday if I would talk to a person considering abortion because she found out her child has Dandy Walker Syndrome and hydrocephalus (what J Man has) because she is uncertain of what to do. When I was pregnant with J Man, the doctor was concerned because the baby wasn't gaining weight but we didn't know that he had something wrong with him.I remember when J Man was two that we finally got a diagnosis. I remember searching the Internet and hearing all the scary things. But this I do know, J Man has been the biggest blessing to me and all around him! But, can I promise this lady that she will have the same experience. I can't because there are varying degrees of Dandy Walker and Hydrocephalus. Can I promise her that she won't see her child have endless shunt surgeries and infections etc.? No, I can't.

But, the one thing I can say is that there are wonderful people every day who dedicate their lives to serving others. J Man has had some exceptional people and programs get him where he is today! With the way education is going, we are losing some of these exceptional people that make a HUGE difference. All I can say is people please start speaking up for our kids and schools. We have a lot to lose.

On a positive note, I am attaching a picture of J Man when he was at his worst physically and a video of where he is now. It might not seem like a big deal but for my young J Man who at one time could barely speak a sound or crawl or walk, it is a miracle. My special miracle! I would do it all over again!

DJ Teach
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
View photo 2.JPG in slide show
J Man in tougher times!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment